What Caused My Sore Throat?
Before starting a natural remedy for a sore throat you need to know why your throat is hurting. Some causes need to be seen by a doctor. Even if you choose to treat the pain with a natural remedy you may need a medication to treat the cause.
The most common causes for a sore throat are viruses such as cold, flu, and occasionally mononucleosis. Also bacterial infections such as strep throat and tonsillitis can cause a sever sore throat. A sore throat caused by a virus is great to be treated with home remedies. However if you have a bacterial infection a doctor would need to prescribe an antibiotic to clear the cause of the sore throat.
Sometimes when dealing with a sore throat you may need to use natural remedies to treat a cough. Often the constant hacking can cause the sore throat. So the easiest way to treat the sore throat is to treat the cough.
If you only need to treat a sore throat then here are a few tips.
10 Ways To Treat Your Sore Throat at Home
- Salt water– Just mix a couple of teaspoons of salt in warm water and gargle. Do not swallow this mixture. Repeat every couple of hours.
- Garlic– Okay so this one doesn’t taste great but it works. Get 3 pieces of garlic out and peel them. Take the first two pieces and place at the back of your teeth and chew them. Let the warm juices go down your throat. After you are done swallow them. Take the third piece and suck on it for a few minutes, then swallow it whole like a pill. Repeat up to 3 times a day.
- Apple Cider Vinegar– This should be done at the first signs of a sore throat. It can often keep the pain from getting worse and if caught early enough it may get rid of it all together. Just gargle a small amount of Natural apple Cider Vinegar then swallow it.
- Honey– Take a teaspoon of natural (preferably local) honey every hour. It will coat your throat and give you some relief.
- Ginger– I like to take a 3 quart pot and throw in one peeled ginger root. Boil for 15 minutes then simmer for another 15 minutes (longer if you have time). Remove the ginger root and drink warm to help a sore throat.
- Cayenne Pepper– OK so this one taste HORRIBLE but it works so I suggest if all else fails, or if you like cayenne pepper give it a try. You can do this multiple ways. If you have access to just powdered cayenne then add a teaspoon to a cup of warm water and drink. I prefer the actual pepper. You can chop it very fine and eat it straight. I like to let it linger at the back of my mouth to let the juices run down my throat.
- Peroxide– Gargle peroxide twice a day. Do NOT swallow. Gargle and spit. This is a good one if you have an infection and are on antibiotics. Peroxide is known for being great at killing bacteria.
- Onion– If you can take it raw then that is best. If you however are like me and can’t bite into an onion like an apple you may need to try getting creative with how you use it. Do NOT cook it though. The best solution I have found is to chop it down into tiny pieces and add to a cup of warm water. Then wash it down as quick as you can.
- Lemon– Again this is one where you get the most benefit if you can eat it by itself. Just cut in half and eat. Water can be used if you don’t think eating plain lemon will work for you.
- Mixture– I have found the best thing is to mix a few of these throughout the day. A nice glass of ginger water with honey and lemon added to it makes a good breakfast time drink. Mix apple cider Vinegar and onion at lunch time. Cayenne pepper and garlic at dinner. Peroxide at night before bed.
If your sore throat persists for more than 7 days see a doctor. Any time you use a new product in your body always talk to your doctor first.